Roast tofu with soy sauce, dark brown sugar, and chili garlic sauce for an irresistible sweet-salty flavor.
extra-firm silken tofu
Chinese five-spice powder
small English cucumber (thinly sliced)
shiitake mushrooms (stemmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces)
reduced-sodium soy sauce
dark brown sugar
chili garlic sauce
Sliced scallions, sesame seeds, and cilantro, for serving
- Heat oven to 450°F. Cook rice per package directions.
- Gently pat tofu dry with paper towels. On rimmed baking sheet, break into small pieces. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, then season with five-spice powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt; gently toss to combine. Arrange in even layer; roast 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, toss cucumber with vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, toss mushrooms with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, scatter over tofu, then gently mix to combine. Continue roasting until golden brown and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- In same bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, and chili garlic sauce. Pour over tofu mixture and roast 2 minutes.
- Serve tofu and mushrooms over rice along with cucumber, scallions, sesame seeds, and cilantro.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving): About 445 calories, 19 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 16 g protein, 995 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber
Did you make this recipe? Comment below!